Skip Navigation
Crime Stoppers
Confidential Tips
Contact Us
  The V.I. Department of Justice will provide excellent, independent, and ethical legal services for the U.S. Virgin Islands in order to achieve justice and to assert, protect, and defend the rights of the people.
Office of the Attorney General
Solicitor General Division
Civil Division
Criminal Division
Domestic Violence Unit
Family/Special Victims Unit
Special Investigations Division
White Collar Crime and Public Corruption Section
The Division of Gaming Enforcement
Civil Rights Commission
Paternity & Child Support Division
Victim Services Unit
Sexual Offender Registry

     The Civil Rights Commission, under the supervision of a Director, administers the United States Virgin Islands Civil Rights Law as per Chapter 5 of Title 10 of the Virgin Islands Code. It is responsible for the investigation of all complaints alleging discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, disability, religion, or political affiliation. Its responsibility has been expanded to monitor, record, classify and analyze hate crimes and sexual harassment claims. 

     In the administration of its duties the division is authorized to hold fact-finding hearings, conduct major investigations and research projects, and to sponsor conferences to gather and disseminate information relating to human rights and human rights problems. In furtherance of this authority, the division has the power to impose sanctions or to provide specific remedies in individual cases.

What are your office hours?
     The Civil Rights Commission Office is open Monday through Friday from 8am until 5pm.
How do I know if my civil rights have been violated?
     Your civil rights have been violated if you feel you were treated unfairly because of your race, color, natural origin, age, disability, religion, sex, political affiliation, or if you feel you have been sexually harassed by a co-worker or employer.

How long should I wait after I am discriminated against in order to file a complaint?


     If you feel you have been unfairly discriminated, you should immediately file a complaint with the Civil Rights Commission.

Who may file a complaint?

     Anyone, claiming to be aggrieved by an unlawful discriminatory practice, may, in person or by his or her attorney-at-law, make, sign and file a written complaint with the Commission in accordance with these rules.


How do I file a complaint?

     You can download an application online or you may come into either of the Civil Rights Commission Offices on St. Thomas or St. Croix to fill out an application.  

Are all complaints handled confidentially?

     Yes. All complaints filed with the Civil Rights Commission are confidential.

What length of time do I have to file my alleged discrimination before it is considered null and void?


     A complaint with the Civil Rights Commision must be filed within one year from when the alleged discriminatory act occurred before it is considered null and void. 

Is there a fee to file a complaint with your office?
     No fee is assessed for filing a complaint with the Civil Rights Commission.
Can I lose my job for filing a discrimination complaint?
     No. Under the Civil Rights Commission Act an employee is protected from disciplinary action or termination by his or her employer for filing a discrimination complaint.